THIS IS THE FACE OF PANCREATIC CANCER
You are looking at the faces of two people who lost their lives to pancreatic cancer … my mother and step-father. Like almost all victims of the disease they were healthy and lived full productive lives until the disease took them from us. They were loved by family and friends and died too early wanting to do more with their lives.
It is rare for pancreatic cancer to strike one member of a family, but for it to hit twice in a family is almost unheard of.
Like you, I had never heard of pancreatic cancer until my family was affected. Don’t wait … learn about this disease.
Facts you should know:
More than 34,000 people will die from pancreatic cancer this year. This is a disease with no known cause or cure.
- Pancreatic cancer is the fourth leading cancer killer in the US.
- The survival rate is 5%!!!
- There are no tests that can screen for or predict if you or a loved one will get pancreatic cancer.
- We spend an insignificant amount of money on pancreatic cancer research when compared with the money spent to defeat breast cancer and prostate cancer. This is partly because so few people are aware of the nature of this deadly disease.
- Some people die within weeks of their diagnosis (my step-father) and a very few are fortunate to live for more than a year, like my mother did.
The statistics are grim but there is hope. There are new treatments and even stories from survivors, but these stories are all too few and far between.