Did you know that our oceans are polluted many times over with plastic trash.This is an ecological disaster of our own making.
QUICK FACTS ON PLASTIC POLLUTION
In just 25 years, our consumption rate of plastic bags has grown from almost zero to our use of over 500,000,000,000 (that’s 500 billion) plastic bags annually. That’s almost 1 million per minute.
- According to The Wall Street Journal, the U.S. goes through 100 billion plastic shopping bags annually. An estimated 12 million barrels of oil is required to make that many plastic bags.
- Four out of five grocery bags in the US are now plastic.
- Plastic bags cause hundreds of thousands of birds, sea turtle and other marine animal deaths every year because these creatures mistake plastic trash for food.
- Countries like China, Ireland, Australia, Bangladesh have banned or have placed restrictions on single use plastic bags.
- Taiwan banned plastic bag and plastic utensils as a way to reduce 60,000 metric tons of waste per year they deal with each year
- According to the BBC, only 1 in 200 plastic bags in the UK are recycled. Our record in the US isn’t any better.
- Target, the second-largest retailer in the U.S. purchases 1.8 billion bags a year. In 2009 Target announced a new program to give consumers a nickel back for each reusable bag they bring into their stores when they shop.
- Target (Australia) completely banned single use plastic bags in their stores in 2008.
- The average family accumulates 60 plastic bags in only four trips to the grocery store.
- Each high quality reusable bag you use has the potential to eliminate an average of 1,000 plastic bags over its lifetime.
- Americans use 2.5 million plastic bottles every HOUR. Each of us creates 1,500 lbs of trash every year that has to be disposed of that could be recycled with a little effort.
Now you know! It’s time to pitch in and do your part!
Remember every piece of plastic ever produced and not recycled still exists!
There’s nothing elegant or chic about plastic trash.
Recycling and replacing plastic bags with reusables is the new chic. Plastic bags and bottles are “just so yesterday!”
Most people are unaware of the ecological disaster that our thoughtless and unnecessary use of plastic has caused the oceans and our environment. Once they are aware of the facts they want to do something because the damage we are doing is so horrific.
The numbers are mind numbing. Trillions of plastic bags and bottles produced every year and only 2% recycled. Thousands of birds and marine creatures are needlessly dying, choking on our plastic trash!
This video will give you a brief overview of the issues.
Now that you know, please help. Stop using single use plastic bags. Don’t just talk about being green. Take action and start using reusable bags. Your essential reminder kit can be purchased here.